Monday, June 4, 2012

A Good Cry

I've read a few books on the subject of horrible parenting. The well know Drama of the Gifted Child by Alice Miller, Toxic Parents by Susan Forward, and The Narcissistic Family: Diagnosis and Treatment by the Pressmans, which I highly recommend and you can read a review of here. Although written with therapists in mind, it's very informative and validating. In fact, it's the very kind of book I was thinking of writing until I discovered such a book was already written!

I mention this simply to illustrate my familiarity with the subject, beyond my personal experiences with my own NM and what was I was required to learn and study for my higher education. More importantly though, I bring this all up because one of the friends I mentioned in the post, A Validating Experience, who is also in the field of psychology, felt compelled to print and give me a copy of an article from the Wall Street Journal, entitled "Calling a Truce in Mother-Daughter Conflict" at an event where my E-sis was present despite knowing my preference for not discussing the matter at all in front of E-sis.

Fortunately my E-sis didn't see what was on the paper, so for all she knows it could have been recipe for the delicious dinner we had. Anyway, I am certain my friend meant well, but I was very uncomfortable receiving it and actually not interested in reading it because from the title alone gave me a bad feeling. You see, my NM and I have a kind of truce already; I have distanced myself from her and don't discuss sensitive personal things with her. We are capable of being quite civil and pleasant in each others' company.. What we are not capable of is having a close, intimate relationship because she cannot even begin to accept that my experiences and feelings are valid even if she doesn't like or agree with them. But the other night, after finally catching up on the blogs I read, I decided that since I was on the topic of NMs already to read the article before going to sleep.

Just to emphasize, this was a four page article from the Wall Street Journal of all places, written by a journalist who is in no way a member of any so called "helping professions" like therapists or psychologists, and who quotes only one or two people who are. Considering my friend's own higher education in the field of psychology and her knowledge of my personal and education background, and about the fact I have C-PTSD, I'm very surprised she thought this article would be useful or relevant in any way for me. I found it actually very invalidating of my experience, especially in light of the fact I had recently told my friend the entire story regarding my mother and me.

It was the end of the article that really did it for me, though. Where it lists "...ideas for how mothers and daughters can improve their relationship." - as if it were as simple as that little list makes it out to be! As if I hadn't already tried to "speak as an adult" to NM! Maybe for relationships where the mother is just irritating but genuinely cares for and loves her daughter, but definitely not for those where the mother was an abusive narcissist! I could rant on, but I would be neglecting the most important part, the true point, of this entry.

Right there in bed, with my DH next to me reading a book, I started tearing the article into pieces and bawling. Without a word he took me in his arms, and I did not refuse his comfort like I am prone to doing. Having been raised in an environment where I was taught I was not worthy of comfort and that it was wrong to feel anger, sorrow, or pain, I almost always push him away physically or emotionally when he first tries to reach out to me when I'm upset. Not only that, but crying often makes me feel more miserable than I already am, because I feel bad for crying, for troubling him with my tears, even though I know he is not like my mother. In fact, it's fairly recent development that I refrain from apologizing when I cry now.

But for the first time I can recall, perhaps for the first time in my entire life even, I didn't feel bad about crying and sobbing out my pain. Instead of making me feel worse, it actually felt good to be sobbing without any shame in front of another human being. I didn't even feel and have to suppress the usual urge to apologize for my sudden outburst. I didn't try to hide my face. And best of all, DH didn't ask me to explain what was wrong before offering me comfort, and I didn't feel like I had to explain immediately, either. I didn't feel like I had to try and justify my tears to anyone, even myself. Of course after I explained what set me off and he had already figured it had something to do with the article and my NM.

Unfortunately now I am left wondering how to politely ask my friend to refrain from giving me any more articles on my the subject.

10 comments:

  1. I get you about the emotional out burst and feeling the lack of entitlement to have one. I can't say I have PTSD but if I don't it is not from lack of stimulus.
    There is a whole emotional soundtrack for lack of a better word running in the back ground for me almost all the time. There are triggers every where.
    If the people around me knew how often some dumb thing in a movie choked me up. Being a guy it can't happen. Not now not ever.
    No one would ever understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the gender double standard really sucks. The main trigger for me is when people starting raising their voices and/or arguing around me. Even if they aren't actually fighting, just having a heated debate.

      Delete
    2. Awww Q <3, I know a lot of guys who get teary and don't get super embarassed about it. It happens. It'd be easier to not cry at movies if they didn't make them so moving. People would understand.

      Delete
  2. Hugs to you. Or not. I'm the same way about receiving comfort.

    And as for those well-meaning busybodies who haven't walked a mile in our shoes, I say BAH! As if a better attitude and lower expectations on our part will make our relationships with the narcissist rewarding for all. Ugh. These people make it worse by making it seem like its our fault for not making it right. If only they beat us physically instead of with cruel words and behavior, they wouldn't be so blasé about how to "fix" this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs* Thanks! Sometimes it's better to throw broken things away than to try and fix them! Although at least the article had more items on its list for mothers to try doing than daughters. Still, if it were that simple, none of us would be here blogging about are crazy families!

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry, Adela. This sounds like such a repeat of so many of your experiences, an invalidation of your truth and a real blow to your friendship. Just when you think you've been heard, something like this happens....
    Since you work in the field I'm certain you know how to express your feelings with "I" statements and that's where I'd begin the conversation: "I read the article. I felt (invalidated, crushed, betrayed-whatever) by the contents but more importantly by the inference that my experiences with my mother were (trivialized-what ever fits for you.)" I hear the further insult through the actual vehicle itself-the WSJ. I'm quite shocked she thought an article from a business rag would trump her access and knowledge of Professional Journals minimally!
    The whole situation leaves me wondering about her agenda here: The article itself, in front of EnS, "helping a friend" vs. a passive aggressive swipe at you, the lack of genuine empathy and invalidation, offering "assistance" where none was requested. Ouch.
    Tears are so healing, yk? Your DH sounds like a wonderful partner and allowing ourselves to be so vulnerable in front of our partners draws us yet closer together.
    Again, I'm so sorry your friend demonstrated such a lack of thoughtfulness and caring. If this is how she treats her friends I shudder to think of what she does to her clients.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read the WSJ article.....Mon Dieu! (face/keyboard) Your "friend" doesn't get it at ALL! That's beyond patronizing to down right insulting. She might as well have handed you a "Dear Abbey" column.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there's an agenda, because I know she can be kind clueless at times and not always think something all the way through. Subtlety isn't exactly her strong point; she's about a subtle as a shotgun to the face usually. You could say there's nothing passive when she gets aggressive, lol.

      She was also the person who recommended I read The Words To Say It, and that was such a moving book I recommended here on my blog. Abusive relationships and dysfunctional family systems aren't really her area of focus though. Many people even in the field still have a hard time understanding and working with ACoNs. So I do still think she meant well. I did expect more thoughtfulness from her regarding the subject though. I've been thinking over what to say, and I think it will go something like this:

      "I really appreciate the thought, but the article you gave me doesn't reflect the nature of my relationship and conflict with my mother. I'm also very uncomfortable bringing anything related to it up in the presence of my sister; I was terrified she'd see the headline or ask what you were giving me. I've already done a lot of research on the topic and I'd rather not read anymore about it. I know you meant well, but I already have my own sort of truce with my mother and I'm not looking to change the current situation."

      Anyway, thanks so much for the thorough comment and even taking time to read the offending article! It does kind of seem like an elongated Dear Abbey response now that I think about it. Still, I suppose without it, I might not have experienced an honest to goodness "good cry", so in the end it wasn't all bad, I guess.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, you could tell from the start by the title that the article was wrong. A truce? Like we're even part of the problem. It's not a fight. It's someone harassing you. It's not conflict, it's someone being an evil bitch. There's nothing wrong with the relationship really, there's something completely fucked up with them. They're just psychopathic people.
    I remember the fights me and my mom had. They weren't really fights. They were her harassing me, me getting upset and trying to stand up for myself, and her just harassing me even more and in the end stumping me with her all out evilness and mercilessness and selfishness. Cruel, just cruel. I cried a lot then. Not just because she hurt my feelings, but because I couldn't believe how cruel she was, that she would do that, just do that without thinking. That I could never stump her. I would never win because I couldn't be that evil, couldn't do what she did SO easily, couldn't do what she wanted (because she wanted it too! She wanted me to fight back and be nasty like her! To provoke me! She wanted me to be evil and play games with her for the rest of her life! That evil bitch!) and all I had done was ask her for love and this is what I get, all of this just because I asked for love. I didn't want any of this. So where did that put me? That was the reality that hurt. I hurt and there was nothing I could do about it.
    That's so wonderful that you cried in front of your husband and he just took you in his arms and everything. That you just cried. That's great.
    Don't worry about your friend. Tell her to buzz off. You've got your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa
    You are right. Narcissist Mothers hate truces, fear them. A truce to you is cruelty to them. They have a huge array of emotional weapons and can't resist using them. A truce will never be respected. And you can't fight fire with fire, crocodile tears will put that out very quickly.
    When I communicate with my mother I have a defence wall, a huge emotional vacuum forcefield round me.
    She actually constructed it herself by killing off any sympathy or empathy I may once have had for her. But, she never stops probing and trying to get in. If she ever broke in, she'd find lots of love there, but the box with her name would be empty, she extracted that forcibly years ago. I only speak to her because of my Father, then I'm just pretending to have Stockholm Syndrome.

    I'm not even going to read the article, your descriptions have put me off already.

    Am I a cruel or a loving person? I suppose my mother thinks I'm cruel because I'm openly loving to my partner, kids, Father, but only polite and friendly to her. Maybe she's confused by it, I will never ask her.

    Adela, don't be ashamed of crying, but cry for yourself, you've done nothing wrong.

    ReplyDelete