Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Validating Experience

So, it says in my FAQ that only by DH and best friend know the full story about my family. Recently I opened up to two other close female friends about everything. I censored nothing. These two ladies have been my friend for many, many years, and also have met and interacted with my mother. One of them is also studied in the field of psychology like I me and always knew something must have happened to me in my childhood. The other comes from a much more overtly abusive mother than mine, however her mother's craziness comes from a treatable condition and there relationship is improving since her mother started complying with the treatment.

Anyway, it was simply wonderful. I was worried people might think I was over dramatic with the whole C-PTSD thing, but my friends were so supportive and validating. I'm so glad I had the chance to open up to them. I haven't been able to before because E-Sis is usually around since they are mutual friends and I don't discuss NM around E-Sis. They were a little blown away because that isn't how they know NM, but they said it gave them a whole new perspective and didn't trivialize anything I said. Once I started talking it just all came out and they let me keep talking as much as I needed.

I really do have some great friends. The weight feels so much lighter now that I've opened up to them about my journey. It really helped remind me I am not alone. I'm not a child anymore and I have wonderful people around me who I can talk to when I'm happy or when I'm hurting.

I love my dear, dear friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment