Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Point Where Communication Will Always Fail

Attempts to communicate in an honest and sincere manner with a narcissistic inevitably will break down or shut down. There is, I believe, an exact point where the communication break/shut down will always occur. It may occur any time before this point, but if it hasn't already occurred, it will at this specific point. This is because what narcissists are literally incapable of what is required at that point to continue honest, open, and sincere dialogue. The cunning may feign possessing it in an attempt to control and manipulate, and some may be indeed be deceived, but it is no longer honest communication, ergo, even when the illusion of real communication is present, the reality of the matter is that communication has broken or shut down.

What is this magic breaking point, you ask? It is the exact moment you ask them to consider a perspective different from their own. This is literally an impossible task for them, just like it is for small children. The comparisons of narcissists to young children that many make are not exaggerations. Both narcissists and small children are egocentric. As such, they cannot possess empathy or take different perspectives. Children in theory grow out of this and learn empathy and understanding. I don't know if narcissists simply carry their egocentricity of childhood with them into adulthood, or develop it later, or if something else entirely causes it, but the egocentric adult is clearly lacking in the empathy and understanding department.

What does it mean to take another person's perspective, though? It's not to literally look through their eyes, and besides, most people can at least understand that they'll see different things if they are standing on different sides of a table. It is the ability to appreciate or respect the subjective experience of another person, even if it is different from your own subjective experience. I say "subjective" experience, because by default all experiences you have are filtered through your genetics, your past experiences, your mind set when experiencing something, and so on. Take taste for example. Some people love the taste of cilantro, some people absolutely hate it. Neither of them are wrong, it's simply subjective.

To the narcissist though, only their experience is right and it is the only experience that is real. It is the only experience anyone can have in their world. All others are false. All other experiences by other people are lies, delusions, misremembered, or are otherwise invalid. When you ask your narcissist parent to listen to your perspective, and how you felt unloved and terrified as a child, they cannot even concede that you might have had a different experience than they did. You are wrong and are not entitled to any thoughts or feelings based on such false experiences. Any thoughts or feelings that come from those false experiences are also false! And so all meaningful communication breaks down when you ask the narcissist even imagine what it's like to walk in your shoes. They can't, the only shoes that exist in their world are their own. They are completely incapable of doing what is necessary to continue healthy dialogue.

I do not doubt that my mother experienced herself as a very loving and devoted parent, that she experienced herself as loving and caring. She felt herself giving me love, and probably still does. And that's her experience, she's entitled to it and I won't deny it. But it isn't mine, and it isn't what I lived with and continue to live with. I carry it with me every day. I did not experience her as loving and caring, but often as terrifying. I will not say she didn't love me (invalidating her experience), but that I did not feel loved (my personal experience). However, I can accept that her experience wasn't mine, and when I confronted her I didn't even ask for apologies, only that she accept my experience was different, and that just because it wasn't the same as hers didn't mean it and everything that went with it was wrong.

She couldn't even lie, couldn't even pretend to acknowledge me and my experiences. Being right, being able to play the victim, the persecuted martyr, was too important to her, I guess. Although in all fairness I myself struggle with a narcissistic need to be right (probably because for so much of my life I was told I was wrong, wrong, wrong that I desperately want to be right). Though it's a flaw I'm aware of now and am working on, unlike my NM.

7 comments:

  1. This is absolutely true and what happened in the last gasp of my relationship with my mother. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a very simple litmus test for Narcs in general and NPs in particular: Say "No" to a "Request" (Demand.) It can be a minor "request" or a larger, more important demand from "No, I won't be available for dinner Thurs. night," "No, I prefer to paint my room/house THIS color" to "No, I prefer THIS venue for my Wedding/This University/This House/This Apartment."
    And sit back and watch the guilt, fear, obligation contained in their response as evidenced by your internal feelings.
    You are NOT allowed to have experiences/POVs/Preferences that are NOT their "choices." And they will insure through their manipulation of your feelings you feel you are a horrible/"lacking" person because you are not a "Mini-Me" to them. And you will feel pissed with them and yourself. And stuck in a "Can't Win, Ever"/classic double bind situation.
    The concept that you have your own thoughts, feelings, perceptions, experiences is irrelevant to them.
    You have some serious choices to make.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem with asking my mother any kind of question was that it opened me up to the possibility of her answering it. She said enough crazy stuff on her own without me prompting her. And any answer I got from her would be a lie.
    We never had much in the way of a dialogue. In the post mortem after no contact, I realized that what I thought was communication was really me following bread crumbs she left to lead me into blind alleys and pick my brain about things she didn't need to know.
    I would "come to" in the middle of a conversation with her and be in the middle of telling her stuff she can't be trusted to know.
    Too late. You spilled your guts. Might as well make a game of it and try to guess how what I just said would bite me on the ass later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That "come to" - experience is way too familiar for me. Scary.

      I have memories starting with visiting NM, and then blackout, and the next thing I remember is mumbling about my deepest secrets and current life problems, while being yelled at, and suddenly realizing that I have been lured and brainwashed into something I didn't want to participate in the first place. Communication always has been like NM gathering all information she could, to use it against me, and then her using information against me. No more, no less.

      And they always, always bite your ass.

      Empathy, or another perspective is out of the question. What was difficult for me to understand is that no matter how I try to understand NM, she will never try to understand me.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely brilliant post!

    pinkpearl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post! I can definitely relate to this one! Thanks for crystallizing that 'magic moment' when the s hits the f! :)

    ReplyDelete