Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Taking Love Away

I realized last night that I have internalized a particular behavior of my NM's. When she would be angry at me, when she would rage because I had done something wrong or bad, I would feel unloved and unloveable. She would take her love away from me at those times, her love was utterly conditional.

And now when I don't do as well as I think I should, or I make a mistake, I take my love away from myself. I stop loving myself in those moments. She taught me to hate myself. When I was a child I knew she was what made me hate myself, though I didn't have the words to really explain it. Some how along the way, I forgot this as I grew up and became an adult. Unknowingly I took ownership of her hatred for me at those times and made it my own.

I've mentioned this in comments before, but it's about time I posted it here. When I barely nine years old, I wrote this in my diary:

Dear Diary,
I'm going to kill myself cause of mom and dad! (I hate myself!)

That was it. I think my father simply got lumped in with my mom at that time because he was a parent, and I didn't realize back then that he had no idea just how awful it was for me. I actually have mostly good memories about my father. Anyway, I don't remember anything in particular that caused me to write that diary entry, all I know is it must have written it alone in my room, angry and/or crying, like I did all my diary entries. But it spells the truth so clearly.


When I read that page in my old diary now, I can see what it is really trying to say. "I hate myself because of my mom."

This song, "Sorry to Myself" by Alanis Morissette, is perhaps the story of myself, although the only person who has perhaps been crueler to me is my NM, but she's the one who taught me to abuse myself. I really have treated myself worse than I've treated anyone else though. I have more compassion for strangers than I do for myself usually. I need start being kinder to myself and loving myself no matter what. I really do owe myself the biggest apology.


For hearing all my doubts so selectively and
For continuing my numbing love endlessly.
For helping you, and myself not even considering

For beating myself up and over functioning.

To whom do I owe the biggest apology?
No one's been crueler than I've been to me.


For letting you decide if I indeed was desirable
For myself love being so embarrassingly conditional.

And for denying myself to somehow make us compatible
And for trying to fit a rectangle into a ball.
 
To whom do I owe the biggest apology?
No one's been crueler than I've been to me.


I'm sorry to myself.
My apologies begin here before everybody else.
I'm sorry to myself.
For treating me worse than I would anybody else.


For blaming myself for your unhappiness
For my impatience when I was perfect where I was.
Ignoring all the signs that I was not ready,
And expecting myself to be where you wanted me to be.

To whom do I owe the first apology?
No one's been crueler than I've been to me.


And I'm sorry to myself.
My apologies begin here before everybody else.
I'm sorry to myself.
For treating me worse than I would anybody else.


Well, I wonder which crime is the biggest?
Forgetting you or forgetting myself...
Had I heeded the wisdom of the latter,
I would've naturally loved the former.

For ignoring you: my highest voices.
For smiling when my strife was all too obvious.
For being so disassociated from my body,
And for not letting go when it would've been the kindest thing.

To whom do I owe the biggest apology?
No one's been crueler than I've been to me.


And
I'm sorry to myself.
My apologies begin here before everybody else
I'm sorry to myself.
For treating me worse than I would anybody else.
I'm sorry to myself.
My apologies begin here before everybody else
I'm sorry to myself.
For treating me worse than I would anybody else

11 comments:

  1. "And for not letting go when it would have been the kindest thing..."
    Yeah, that.
    Your head and yourself (heart/emotion) will come together when it's time. It seems that's where you are now, IMO.
    You don't have to "Come First" but you don't have to "Come Last" either.

    If my presence isn't helping, my absence won't hurt.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I admire Alanis more than ever now! Great lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a lot of songs I think really fit for those of us with narcissists, especially narcissistic parents, in our lives.

      Delete
  3. ^What Casandra said^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. Conditional love. And even that seemed phony. Horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful. The great love-withholding trick that we internalize. A monster in the mind, that must be got rid of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heaven knows I'm working on it. Slowly but surely.

      Delete
  6. This is a powerful post for me. Thanks for writing it. I lived that sadness you describe, alone, upset in my room, writing, 'knowing' my mother was against me. Like you, I subconsciously picked up the torch of my mothers hatred towards me and ran with it for most of my life. (until recently) I am very thoughtful and attentive to others, myself...not so much. Those Alanis lyrics are really moving. It's great that a mainstream artist is talking about deep stuff like that! And as wonderful, is that we are blogging ourselves outta the twisted conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. :) I'm always glad when I'm able to reach somebody. We all have such similar stories, I'm so glad I found this community of bloggers!

      Delete
  7. The way I STILL lie awake in bed and shame myself for every recent or ancient infraction - every time I said something silly at a party, each time I accidently hurt someone because I am a clod. Every embarassing moment in a life I have struggled so hard to live, and my biggest nemesis is ME. I hit myself so hard in the (metaphorical) face for events that are years old. This shame spiral keeps me awake at night and I know it isn't MY voice - it's my narc, disguised as me, but I need to hug that girl I was. I need to forgive myself. Which means yes, I need to apologize to myself for being such an asshole. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the hardest times is when we go to bed, I think. I'll lie their, ruminating, doing things over in my head or running through different ideas of what to do next. I know where you are coming from, I've even called it a spiral to my husband before.

      We really do beat ourselves up. I'm trying to catch myself every time I start and then think about this song.

      Delete