Sunday, September 16, 2012

You Think You Know Someone...

Simple Plan's "Thank You" seems to be particularly appropriate at the moment. Every time I talk to my friends about dear Samantha, I learn something new.

Apparently, she has been known in the past to make adjustments when handling the calculations for splitting the check when we'd go out in big groups for dinner or such. And by adjustments, I mean getting the rest of us to cover her meal without our knowing. Except, whoops, some people noticed the anomalies and her not putting in any cash.

I only wish they'd told me sooner. This was years ago and I can only hope she's stopped. Her parents would be so ashamed and disappointed if they knew she'd be stealing. They were like my other family and I know she didn't learn this behavior from them.

But I can't say I'm surprised, sadly. I won't be letting her handle anything like that at a dinner ever again. Not that I'll be going out of my way to invite her to any.



I thought that I could always count on you,
I thought that nothing could become between us two.

We said as long as we would stick together,
We’d be alright,
We’d be ok.
But I was stupid
And you broke me down
I’ll never be the same again.

So thank you for showing me,
That best friends can not be trusted,

And thank you for lying to me,
Your friendship and good times we had you can have them back

Yeah!

I wonder why it always has to hurt,
For every lesson that you have to learn.
I won’t forget what you did to me
,
How you showed me things,
I wish I’d never seen.
But I was stupid,
And you broke me down,
I’ll never be the same again.

So thank you for showing me,
That best friends can not be trusted,

And thank you for lying to me,
Your friendship the good times we had you can have them back

When the tables turn again,
You’ll remember me my friend,
You’ll be wishing I was there for you.
I’ll be the one you’ll miss the most,
But you’ll only find my ghost.
As time goes by,
You’ll wonder why,
You’re all alone.


So thank you for showing me,
That best friends can not be trusted,

And thank you for lying to me,
Your friendship and good times we had you can have them back.

So thank you, for lying to me,
So thank you, for all the times you let me down

So thank you, for lying to me,
So thank you, your friendship you can have it back

4 comments:

  1. Fits right in with the "Marriage-As-A-Money-Grab" Plan. I shudder to think of the financial damages the "participants" are going to incur around this event considering her well-honed expertise of using her friends to pay for her meals: Expense wise, Wedding "Events" pale in comparison.
    So in addition to her other illustrious qualities, she's a shameless thief. It seems to me no matter how you split the check or cut the cake the person who consistently demonstrates "miscalculations" in her favor is a thief.
    "Separate checks, please" in the event a future dining opportunity presents itself. Not that this strategy will protect further thievery-she will simply squeal at the of the meal, "OMG!! I FORGOT MY WALLET!"
    Uh huh.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be entertaining. I don't think her fiancee will be forgetting his though.

      She's going to be running into the word "no" a lot with my friends and me. She's not exactly going be invited a whole bunch of places with us, either.

      And I am NOT ruling out leaving the wedding party if she pushes my boundaries. Not after learning this wonderful new tidbit of information.

      Delete
  2. BTW, great tune and thank you for this.
    It DOES hurt when we think we know someone and they've been a part of our lives for so many years growing up. Friendships are pretty intense when we're kids and especially in adolescence and early adulthood. We do change so much not just externally but internally from 13-18, and then again from 18 to 25. Not that changes stop at that point by any means, but they're not as fast and intense after that period: It's more of an "evolution" than a "revolution" type of change. It's easier to blow off some relatively minor stuff in the name of shared history, shared interests/experiences, but then it becomes clearer who and what your "friends" really are about as you get a bit older. It can be disconcerting (minimally) to stand back and realize, "Not only are you not who I thought you were, you're not a very nice person either-certainly NOT the friend I thought you were..."
    And I'm sorry for that because it is a loss-or I should add, another loss.
    Hope your Mon. is a good one-
    TW

    ReplyDelete